Sunday, February 16, 2014

Hiking Up Tibidabo

This weekend Antonia, Pippa, and I were looking for a bit of a change of pace.  Living in the center of a big city can sometimes become a bit exhausting.  In order to get some fresh air, we decided to take a hike up to Tibidabo to see the view, the cathedral.




We met at our usual train station and took a bus up to the beginning of the trail.  The view from the bus stop was already quite a sight! I took probably fifty pictures before I realized that I needed to put my camera down and hold off until we reached the top.  I tend to be entirely too snap happy.






We stopped for a moment to channel our inner super-tourist at this picturesque scene.  Although, the pictures we got to take away made it so worth it.  







This spot was roughly the half way point to the top of Tibidado.  The cathedral at the top of the mountain can be seen from mostly anywhere in Barcelona, especially at night.  It is always a bright North star for me if I get lost in the evening, but for my mother's sake let's just say 'turned around'.







The church was a lot smaller inside than I expected, but the size made it feel so intimate.  The smell of incense had a strong presence and the stained glass chandeliers were like nothing I had ever seen.  Sadly, I do not have any pictures to share, mental photos seemed like the only appropriate thing to take.  

Beside the church, there is also a small (creepy-ish) theme park on top of Tibidabo.  If you are looking for a mind-blowing roller coaster, this is not the place for you.  On the other hand,  if merry-go-rounds were not a usual feature of your bad dreams... you might not find it THAT creepy.  




Nevertheless, the view from the very top was, a grand finale.  




After taking the train back down the mountain, we all went out to have some nice Tapas.  A friend of ours, Natalie, recommended a place called Flauta.  It was extremely authentic and separate from the touristic areas of the city.  The atmosphere of the resturaunt made it such a memorable experience.   I will definitely be taking my parents to Flauta when they come to visit me... one month from today!  





All in all, it was another unbelievable weekend here in Barcelona.  I will be forever grateful for this experience and for the people I am coming to know so well.  







  

No comments:

Post a Comment